Sunday, June 8, 2014

My Appeal to Stephen King's Writings

Very few people know, yet, that I am incredibly fascinated with the works of Stephen King. This started from a very young age. While growing up, my mother had a bookcase full of Stephen King's books, that my siblings and I were forbidden to touch. It seemed like they were her prized possessions. For as long as I can remember, that bookcase remained in the dining room, available to look at, but otherwise off limits.

 In high school, things weren't so great in my life. I turned to books as an escape from life. I could get lost in a book, and find myself as another person in another world, and just forget about real life for a while. In my four years of high school, three of them were spent buried in books as often as possible. So often, in fact, that I was one of few people allowed to break the rule on the limit to how many books could be checked out at one time. The rule was three. I think the most I left with at once was seven books. All I had to do was talk to the librarian. If we had an extended weekend, or if I was going on a trip, she would let me check out some extra books, always knowing they would be returned far earlier than they would be due back. I read at least 80% of the books in the fiction section of the library.

But when I stumbled upon the shelf that held the Stephen King books, it was like I had found gold. This world so long forbidden was now right there at my fingertips. It was overwhelming in the best possible way. I can remember reaching out, and just touching them, knowing I wouldn't have to fear repercussion, because these weren't the forbidden books on the bookcase in my dining room. These were books free for me to read whenever I wanted. And read them I did.

Once my mother found out I had started reading them, she finally broke her own rule. I was allowed to read one of her Stephen King books - it was the only one of her books I was ever allowed to read. The Girl Who Loved Tom Gordon. It was like I was holding the most precious thing in the world, when she handed me that book, and told me I was allowed to read it. I felt amazing. It was a perfect moment. To finally be able to have that which was forbidden for so long. I cherished every word on every page, the feel of the book in my hands, knowing this was my mothers book, and I was allowed to read it. It's the only book of hers I ever read. Other than that, they had to come from the library.

But after that, we could talk about them, and she gave me recommendations on which books she thought I would like, and which she thought best for me to avoid due to my life circumstances. I ignored her advice, much to my dismay, because, as it turns out, she was right. There is one book that I someday will try to read again, but as a high school student, not having yet started to deal with any of the pains of my life, not yet knowing I had PTSD as a result of it, I wanted to prove her wrong. It upset me to realize she was right, but I also knew there were many other books there to comfort me.

The one thing that was unique about Stephen King books is, aside from the one that broke the rule of being forbidden, I always had to read them through borrowing them from the library. As much as I enjoyed having that option, I know there is nothing quite like opening up a brand new book, knowing it's yours. Being the first one to read those pages, no creases, no writings at all. I've always loved new books, and very much enjoy being able to buy books at a great deal. But something I never did was buy a Stephen King book. There is something about them that always felt forbidden. I was allowed to have them, but only for a short time.  Well, that changed recently. Thanks to a very dear friend of mine, I now have my very own copy of Under the Dome. With Season 2 of the TV show starting in just a few weeks, I wanted to read the book. This very dear friend of mine bought me the book for my birthday. It is still strange, to see this book sitting on my nightstand and know that it is mine. It's not forbidden, I don't ever have to return it.

I have read hundreds of books in my short 22 years. There are a few categorizations of books that I am always drawn to. I love reading books that are narrated well by a child character. I adore dystopian fiction. I very strongly admire the works of Stephen King. It would be hard to say I have a favorite author because I simply just love to read. But the works of Stephen King I greatly admire. He has a way with words that I am constantly fascinated with. He can tell a story and make me feel like I am there. Every book of his that I have ever read, I have enjoyed reading. I also very much enjoy the movies that have been made based on his books. And I know that no matter what happens in life, no matter how bad my relationship is with my mother, I will always have one thing in common with her - a strong admiration for the works of Stephen King.

No comments:

Post a Comment