Wednesday, October 16, 2013

NYCC Day One (Saturday)

New York Comic Con. What can I say other than AMAZING?! It was my first time ever attending NYCC and I have every intention of going back in the future. It was such an awesome weekend. It started with waking up at 3:30 Saturday morning. I spent over two hours just doing my hair and makeup for my costume, and was still trying to get dressed when the cab driver called to say he was at my apartment. So I rushed through putting some clothes on, threw the rest of my costume in my bag, and was out the door by 6:20. At the train station, I got a lot of stares. But it was understandable given the way my hair and makeup looked compared to how I was dressed. The train ride was boring, but the closer I got to the show, the more excited I got. When I finally arrived in New York, I was physically shaking I was so excited. By the time I got to the convention center, I had calmed down a bit, and was happy to meet up with my parents and be with them during their first ever comic convention. During the day, I was dressed as a 1950s housewife inspired Harley Quinn. It was an awesome costume, but the 5-inch heels killed my feet, and left me with a number of blisters. Yes, it was worth it. I had some fun taking pictures, but the costume wasn’t even a major part of my day. On Saturday, I spent some time in line waiting to meet William Shatner. I wasn’t meeting him for my own sake, but to get his autograph on a picture of him with my aunt. While in line with him, I managed to snap a few shots of Anthony Daniels. Once I finally got up to him, I gave him the picture, and he remembered my aunt. Additionally, the guy that was with him moderating everything said that he also remembered her, which was very exciting. Other than that, Saturday I spent a lot of time feeling sick and almost left early. While sitting and relaxing for a few minutes inside, I met up with Andrew Hope who is the author of Fantomex Max. He signed my copy of the comic, and then chatted with me for a minute. After that, I spent about an hour sitting outside just talking with someone who I had met at the show. It helped me to feel better, and on my way back inside, I ran into Andrew again and he did a sketch of me, and signed it. He is a great guy, and has such a cool accent (Scottish). I am very much looking forward to the next three issues of Fantomex and hope to be able to meet him again in the future. Other than that, I spent a lot of time Saturday walking around the show floor and just trying to take everything in. Even still, I missed a lot, and never made it to Artist Alley at all. I left the show about an hour early with my parents, with the intention that we would go to the lego store. That never happened. About half way there, we decided to part ways and travel back to our separate hotels. About two hours later, I got to my hotel, and found that I had 30 pins in my hair holding it all together. It looked pretty crazy by the time they were all out. And so, at 11:00 pm after being awake for 14.5 hours and walking several miles in heels, my first day at NYCC was over.

No comments:

Post a Comment